Over the last few years, walking and active walking have become very trendy, not only because it is healthy, but also because it burns calories and helps shed weight.
Maybe it’s your first effort or maybe the gym costs too much time or money.
However, you can start your own free and fun weight loss program without prior experience or even any instructions. Just take a walk!
If you want to find out how to lose weight by walking, keep reading.
More than a handful of dietitians recommend walking as a weight loss tool for beginners and experts. Why?
Simple – walking is so effective because it’s an easy way to raise your heart rate.
And that’s really all you need to do. You lose weight by burning calories, and you burn calories best by increasing your heart rate. Moreover, walking also strengthens your muscles.
Below, read everything you need to know about how to lose weight by walking, including our tips and tricks to get the most out of it.
What are the benefits of walking?
Research continues to show that regular regular exercise is beneficial for your health, but walking alone has several benefits that include:
- Improving heart health: We know heart disease is the number one killer in the world, so we need to keep in good shape. Research shows that walking can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and also improve longevity.
- Promoting mental health: Taking care of yourself, mind and body is so important when it comes to health and holistic health. Regular walking can improve a person’s cognition and also help reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Fight against obesity: Obesity puts us at risk of several chronic diseases, including heart disease, diabetes and even certain types of cancer. Research shows that in obese people, walking decreases, and also decreases with weight gain. Being active is essential to combat obesity and manage weight.
- Thermogenesis without exercise: Thermogenesis outside of exercise is basically energy expended for everything except formal exercise and sleep. Walking, washing dishes, cleaning the house and only general movements throughout the day contribute to your weight loss. If you want to lose weight by walking, this can be a great additional tool for achieving goals. This can also increase a considerable calorie deficit with minimal effort.
Eight tips on how to lose weight by walking
1. Check the weather forecast
The last thing you want is a rainstorm to catch you in the middle of your walk.
Check out the weather report online to see when would be the best time to walk. If you normally walk around 5 p.m. but the weather report expects rain, then switch your walk during lunch.
And always carry a charged phone with you just in case time turns and you need to call someone.
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN: 9 Best Free Weather Apps
If you’re moving on a long walk, you’ll make sure you’re hydrated. Try to stay hydrated throughout the day and drink two glasses of water at least 30-60 minutes before your walk, so it’s out of your system (and you won’t have to use the bathroom).
When you return from a walk, make sure you drink a glass of water to rehydrate your body. Avoid any juices or drinks made from electrolytes; if you walk at moderate intensity, water will do just fine to rehydrate the body.
3. Get the right laptop
Throw away your old sneakers and opt for a good pair of sneakers. This will help you posture during walks and will also reduce the risk of injury.
In addition, if you have the right sneakers, it can help you improve progress and make walking a longer distance more enjoyable.
4. Focus on form
Walking alone doesn’t require a lot of skills and is very natural, but certain posture and shape patterns can improve your gait.
Focus on keeping your chin up and shoulders. Your core should be activated, and keep your back beautiful and straight.
5. You change the pace
Walking at intervals is a great way to burn more calories and make your gait interesting.
When it comes to walking, there are three different types of steps:
- brisk walking
- half run
Warm up while walking, then aim for a strong pace during a walk and push a step towards a powerful walk every five minutes to speed up your heartbeat.
See how long you can maintain your walking pace, then try to increase it by a few seconds every time you go out for a walk.
Walking for weight loss can bring you great value in overall health.
6. Set a goal
How far can you walk in 30 minutes or in 1 hour? To optimize your walking rhythm, try targeting 2 km to 30 minutes and 4 km per hour, which is a fast pace of about 7 minutes per kilometer.
If you can’t commit to walking for a full hour or 30 minutes, do as much as you can, something is better than nothing and can make a huge contribution to your daily steps.
7. Walk down the slope
If you’re indoors, the running track allows you to manipulate the slope, which can increase the calorie burning in your gait. If you’re out there, try opting for a hilly area to optimize your gait.
Research suggests that increased inclination can increase the intensity of exercise while reducing the impact on the legs and joints.
8. Walk with friends
A friend who helps you with responsible action can help you follow the path and make that daily walk irreconcilable.
Try calling a friend, family member or co-worker who will go a few minutes a week for a walk with you to motivate you and change things.
Apps for counting steps and calories
Want to know how many calories you burned on a walk?
Carrying a phone or smartwatch with you and connecting to one of the apps may give you an idea, but certain calorie calculators on the fly are also available here:
Calorie burning will vary greatly depending on several factors, including weight, distance traveled, terrain slope, and terrain.