Health

Energy Efficient Bulbs Cause Anxiety, Migraines, and Even Cancer – Reasons to Go Back To Incandescent Bulbs

In an effort to save energy and money, we replace our old standard light bulbs with environmentally-friendly, the new generation energy saving light bulbs.However, these light bulbs are so toxic, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency created an emergency protocol you need to follow in the event of a bulb breakage, due to the poison gas that is released. Namely, if broken indoors, these light bulbs release 20 times the maximum acceptable mercury concentration into the air, according to a study conducted by researchers from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency.

Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Can Cause

  • Dizziness;
  • Cluster headaches;
  • Migraines;
  • Seizures;
  • Fatigue;
  • Inability to concentrate;
  1. Energy saving bulbs contain mercury. Mercury is a potent neurotoxin that is especially dangerous to children and pregnant women

Mercury, being toxic to the brain, the nervous system, the liver and the kidneys, can also damage the cardiovascular, immune and reproductive systems. It can also lead to tremors, anxiety, insomnia, memory loss, headaches, cancer and Alzheimer’s.

  1. Energy saving bulbs can cause cancer.

A study conducted by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory found these light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens that could cause cancer:

  • Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture.
  • Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
  • Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct.
  1. Energy saving light bulbs emit a lot of UV rays

These light bulbs emit UV-B and traces of UV-C radiation. Because UV-radiation is generally recognized as being harmful for the skin (can lead to skin cancer) and the eyes, these light bulbs are bad news. The radiation they contain, directly attacks the immune system, and furthermore damages the skin tissues enough to prevent the proper formation of vitamin D-3.

To summarize, these light bulbs, being toxic as they are, shouldn’t even be thrown into the garbage. They are hazardous material, and if you were to break one, open all of your windows and doors, and evacuate the house for at least 15 minutes to minimize your exposure to the poisonous gas. The bad news is that, soon consumers won’t have the option to buy incandescent lights because they won’t be available. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) mandates the phase-out of incandescent light bulbs, and favors energy-efficient compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs.

Source: Complete Health And Happiness